Companies working in oil & gas industry looking to work with ADNOC will be requried to obtain Supreme Petroleum Council approval. SPC is responsible for the petroleum industry in Abu Dhabi and in order to properly oversee and maintain industry standards, companies wanting to work in this industry be regsitered with and obtain Supreme Petroleum Council approval.

What is the Supreme Petroleum Council (SPC) Approval?

SPC (Supreme Petroleum Council) approval authorises a company with the activity of “Onshore and Offshore Oil & Gas Field & Facilities Services” and is required when a company would like to work with ADNOC or any company attributed to ADNOC. The Supreme Petroleum Council was established under law No. (1) of the year 1988 and is responsible for structuring and regulating petroleum related policies, objectives and activities in Abu Dhabi. The Council also functions as the ADNOC Board of Directors and is responsible for the business’ strategy and financial performance.

Why do you need ADNOC / SPC Approval?

Companies looking to deal directly with any companies related to the Oil and Gas sector in Abu Dhabi require SPC Approval on their trade license. SPC approval is mandatory for all companies dealing with Oil and Gas (ADNOC) companies operating in Abu Dhabi, regardless of the main activities they are trading with. This approval is compulsory to issue CICPA (Critical Infrastructure & Coastal Protection Authority) security passes which provides access oil field and critical infrastructure sites.

Who requires SPC Approval?

Any company looking to work with ADNOC either directly or with any of the attributed companies in the Oil & Gas sector in Abu Dhabi require SPC approval. SPC approval is mandatory on the trade licence for the company to apply for ADNOC Vendor Registration and to apply for tenders and/or succeed in gaining work from ADNOC or their attributed companies.

Who can apply for ADNOC / SPC?

Any company can apply for ADNOC / SPC approval, however, there are strict guidelines of who will actually be granted with this special activity. A company who wishes to apply will need to be an Onshore LLC, with a 51% SPC approved local partner, or a Foreign Branch with an SPC approved National Service Agent (NSA).

Some Dual Licences and Freezone Branches can obtain the SPC activity on the Trade Licence, but restrictions and special requirements apply. It is advised to set up as an Onshore Abu Dhabi Company or Foreign Branch to ensure your eligibility to work with ADNOC. 


Expert Advice

Book a call with one of our company formation specialists.

Please enter a message